Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Encouragement for Mothers


“Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Gal. 6:9)

The Lord has been reminding me lately, through my husband and others, that I must continually be on my toes, watching and training our children. As a mother, I don’t have a break from my responsibility – I must be “on call” 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Thankfully I have a husband who is serving the Lord, and carries more than half of the load. (My husband even works at home most of the time, which is such a blessing!) But I also know that a lot depends on me. “Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.” (Prov. 14:1)

I thought I’d share with you other mothers these verses from the Word, that have been an encouragement to me in my child training responsibilities. I have them up on my refrigerator, where I can see them every day.

“He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.” Prov. 13:24)

“Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.” (Prov. 19:18)

“Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.” (Prov. 22:15)

“Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.” (Prov. 23:13, 14)

“The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.” (Prov. 29:15)

“Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul.” (Prov. 29:17)

"Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.” (Heb. 12:11)

God’s blessings rest upon those who follow His way. The world today has ideas completely opposed to the way of the Lord. But “the Word of God… liveth and abideth forever.” (1 Peter 1:23)

2 comments:

M. Akamau said...

These are encouraging words as I labor at home with our two young boys (one almost 2 and the other almost 3); I know this is an eternal work and I truly want our boys to grow up and be faithful men of God. Thanks for being a light!

Joanna said...

Hi Monica,
I noticed on my dashboard that you wrote again but when I click the link it doesn't go there.

ANd you named it pilgrim's progress!!

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13)